Monday, November 28, 2011

The Meaning of Life Homework for November 29, 2011

I agree that the author was right, that there is a meaning to life, and that the theistic approach is correct, but at the same time, the naturalistic package is also another world view that exists in the world, but i don't agree with it. There must be a reason why we are here since we have our free will, and in my perspective it all seems to fit together that there is a God out there and that everything in life is connected, in one way or another.

This is what the picture says...
"Dad, what is the meaning with life?"
"Son, that is a big question. You have to consider everything pretty much. It all depends on what you value. Do you value extrinsic or intrinsic values? You have to consider other points of view as well, like nihilism, do-it-yourself approach, and the theistic approach..."
"Wait! Are you saying that my perspective on importance and meaning also plays a role?"
"Yes, Jacob. How you see everything affects not only your morals, but your beliefs as well! Does God exist? Is there life after death? Since I am a man of religion, I believe in this. I also believe in dualism, and not in materialism, giving us a body with a seperate mind and soul. I can believe in this, since i am free, due to agency theory."
"Dad, it all seems so disconnected... How can all this be?"
"Son, let me break it down to you. What you believe affects what you think is the truth. So what about beliefs and being good? You are only as good as what you believe is moral and ethical to do. You are free to believe whatever, for example in a god, life after death, etc. You see, it is all how you as a philosopher perceive the world. I believe in a meaning to life. Everything is connected. The question is now what you believe."
"I believe that there must be a meaning to life. There must be a reason why I am here, and I believe nihilism is wrong; go theistic approach!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment